Re: The LINK tag and NCSA Mosaic??

These mods to an old version of xmosaic were made by our group at UCSF more
than two years ago, right before the time that the REV/REL distinction was
made, and there was only a ROLE for link.

Eolas corp. managed to acquire our development code as part a license agreement
related to their attempt to patent work done around embedded objects by our
group at UCSF.  The good thing about having implemented these features two
years ago (NCSA declined to incorporate them into mosaic back then) in a manner
that is incorrect today is that its easy to tell when someone steals your HTML.

Given the history of how LINK was implemented in this case, I wouldn't allow
any of the WebRouser design considerations to constrain any legitimate
development of the LINK tag or its browser-side behavior.

-marc

--
// Marc Salomon - Software Engineer - Innovative Software Systems Group     \\