Re: The LINK tag and NCSA Mosaic??

On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, Michael Seaton wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Chris Josephes wrote:
> > What's this about the LINK tag being used to implement a button bar?
> > Does this have to do with the w3 version of LINK, or is this more suited
> > to the WebRouser version of the tag.
>
> I don't have any experience with that particular browser, but the sample
> pages on its site appear to use <LINK> in a manner nearly identical to the
> one described in the HTML3 draft.  The only obvious difference is their
> use of role= in place of of rel=.  (A rather curious change to make, in my
> opinion.)

I fianally found that issue of Dr. Dobbs (Feb, 1996) and guess what.  The
WebRouser version of LINK uses ROLE and HREF as attributes.

The example shown in the magazine was...
<group role="slide show">
<link role="slide 1" href="slide_1.html">
<link role="slide 2" href="slide_2.html">
<link role="slide 3" href="slide_3.html">
Click here to view the WebRouser slide show </group>

In all honesty, I don't get it.  The article didn't say whether this was
supposed to go in the HEAD or BODY containers, and none of these links
are activated until you actually click on the anchored text within the
GROUP tag. (Plus, it looks pretty wierd on browsers other than WebRouser).

Wouldn't it have been better to try it like this....
<head>
<link rel=toc title="Contents" href="toc.html">
....(and so on)
</head>

That way, the user agent knows about these links and relationships and
can display a button bar similar to the one used in NS 1.2 (if the user
wants the option)

> > I suppose I could see a specil button for a link to a stylesheet since
> > stylesheets are supposed to be optional, but how would that work for an
> > external banner?
>
> The idea isn't to display a button for every <LINK>, but only for those
> used to connect the page to others within a larger document. I.e:

True, but a document could have more than one Stylesheet linked to it.
How does Arena or the Emacs browser handle this?  Would it prompt the
user before the page is rendered?

In one of the CSS drafts, a HTML example had the paragraph "...choose from
our traditional, (something), or wacky styles".

Email |  mailto:cpj1@winternet.com
Web   |  http://www.winternet.com/~cpj1/