Re: Wish List for New Spec

Robert Hazeltine wrote:

> 1.  A reaonable means of adequately identifying a text document giving it a
> "front page" (meta information seems to be the best canditate);

Does that mean the META element fulfills your requirements, or not?

> 2.  A way of expressing formula and mathematical information within HTML
> documents;

Yes! Plus, the preservation of some semantics - the LaTeX method of
describing pictures of equations is only slightly more useful than
the current HTML method of GIF/XBM pictures of equations.

Something that could be drag-and-dropped into say Maple, Mathematica etc
would be handy. It was interesting that Wolfram Research, makers of
Mathematica, were exhibiting at WWW4 in Boston last month.

> 3.  Being able to present more than one alphabetic system in a single
> document, eg Greek and English or Cyrillic and Vietnamese, etc so as to
> make dictionaries, language exam papers, textual criticism, etc a HTML
> reality (has no one asked for this?)

Not only asked for (over the last couple of years) but worked on and
close to consensus. See:

  http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/html/

which has links to the internet draft, DTD, and so on. Also consult:

  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/International/
  http://www.vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at/mike/i18n.html

for additional information. I have used a browser, Alis, which supports the
version of HTML defined in the Internet Draft and also supports HTTP 1.1
features such as Accept-language:

> 4.  Some resolution of URC.

;-) I think that is scheduled right after world peace and global disarmament...

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |