Re: wherefore CGM?

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, David Perrell wrote:

> Does the user agent know the pixel density the image was created for?
> That would be the best basis for determining whether or not to resize.
> PNG doesn't appear to have chunks for this info, and I don't think it's
> in GIF or JPEG either.

Actually, I believe that JPEG encodes the DPI. At least Photoshop thinks
so - I haven't read the JPEG spec to be sure. However - I am not aware of
any browser that actually reads the DPI and Photoshop does it nearly
invisibly to the user - which frequently results in images being saved
with some absurd resolution like 300 DPI indicated if you are not paying
attention.

--
Benjamin Franz