Re: wherefore CGM?

En fecha/On Sat, 7 Dec 1996 19:31:51 -0800  "David Perrell" expuso/wrote:

> > Think web! The _user agent_ knows all it needs to know. What the
> > display is and what the graphics format is.
>
> Does the user agent know the pixel density the image was created for?
> That would be the best basis for determining whether or not to resize.
> PNG doesn't appear to have chunks for this info, and I don't think it's
> in GIF or JPEG either.

Yes, the user agent should know the pixel density of the image.

PNG *does* have a chunk named pHYs where you specify the image physical
dimensions. Of course JPEG also stores information about density. I don't know
about GIF, but I hate it anyway and its days are over.

All images should have density information. The web browser should know the
density of the intended display device (monitor, printer, etc.) and optimize
the image for output at that density. This is the way to go, no comment.

Iñigo López