Re: What are the problems with IDML? (fwd)

Matthew James Marnell (marnellm@portia.portia.com)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 09:47:50 -0400

To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: What are the problems with IDML? (fwd)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 09:47:50 -0400
From: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>

Has anyone considered a meta attribute for certain tags/containers
that would give an opportunity to create meta-info for certain
objects within a document (such as figures and yes for IDML type
meta info wrapped around product info).

<object meta="http://www.whatever.com/meta/figure9.html">
or

Smart development tools could be configured to create these
seperate files, what fields to fill in (such as configuring
the authoring tool to create and query for content information
on IDENTIFY-PRODUCT meta info.

Oops, my bad.  I keep forgetting that any possible "better solution"
is already doomed because, at this particular moment in time, it's
not necessarily easier for the authors of the content that need
Identify, and that the only possible authoring tool is Identify's
slow CGI interface, and to expect authoring tools of the future
to be any more intelligent than FrontPage, SiteMill, NetscapeGold
is worthless dreaming.

Nevermind, go back to whatever you were doing.

Matt