Re: To <P> or not to <P>

Daniel W. Connolly (
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 23:50:28 -0400

To: "Brent Eades" <>
Subject: Re: To <P> or not to <P>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 23:50:28 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

In message <>, "Brent Eades" writes:
>It surprises me somewhat that at the same time professionals in the
>HTML field are debating relatively arcane matters such as DTDs vs
>GIs, SGML, CLASS, etc etc, a question about so seemingly simple a
>matter as the correct use of <p> can still spark a rather spirited
>round of debate and disagreements amongst these same experts.
>Why is it, do you think, that HTML is -- from my vantage at least --
>so perenially susceptible to this sort of subjective interpretation,
>even amongst those most expert in its history and application?

I didn't see any debate among "those most expert..."  Note that
everyone who cited a source agreed on the syntax and semantics of <p>
and </p>.

On the contrary: The <p> debate is so old that lots of people --
even those who haven't read the relavent specs and aren't willing
to consult and cite them -- are willing to give their two cents.