Re: To <P> or not to <P>

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 23:41:35 -0400

To: "Marcus E. Hennecke" <marcush@crc.ricoh.com>
cc: www-html@w3.org, porad@smallworld.com
Subject: Re: To <P> or not to <P>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 23:41:35 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>

In message <199608161739.KAA00801@cougar.crc.ricoh.com>, "Marcus E. Hennecke" w
rites:

>Unfortunately, there are some browsers that are broken in that regard,
>most notably MS Internet Explorer. Suppose a paragraph is centered
>using <P ALIGN=CENTER> and the next paragraph starts with <P> with no
>intervening </P>, Internet Explorer used to center the second paragraph
>also (not sure what the final version does). This is the *only* reason
>why the use of </P> is recommended.

Is this bug documented in BrowserCaps?

Ah... I see that it is:

http://www.pragmaticainc.com/bc/Generated/info-paragraphs.html#RetDefault

Hmmm... I notice that it cites HTML 3.0 for <p align> definition.
Another reason we need a released HTML 3.2 spec... Sigh.

I hope everybody contributes to BrowserCaps when they find such
bugs...

Has anybody run the latest Netscape or Microsoft released through
the browsercaps tests?

Dan