Re: To <P> or not to <P>

Jonathan Rosenne (100320.1303@CompuServe.COM)
17 Aug 96 02:49:00 EDT

Date: 17 Aug 96 02:49:00 EDT
From: Jonathan Rosenne <100320.1303@CompuServe.COM>
To: "INTERNET:www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: To <P> or not to <P>

Brent Eades wrote:
>Why is it, do you think, that HTML is -- from my vantage at least --
>so perenially susceptible to this sort of subjective interpretation,
>even amongst those most expert in its history and application?

In many years of experience with markup languages I have always seen users
having a difficulty with distinguishing between structure and appearance.

One of the common problems was always P vs. BR. Also, Hn vs. various fonts,
bold, underline etc.

Once you changed a printer, most documents came out wrong.

These problems are neither new nor unique to HTML or even SGML.

Jonathan