Re: Footnotes in HTML

Scott E. Preece (preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:46:43 -0500

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:46:43 -0500
From: preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com (Scott E. Preece)
To: stragier@email.enst.fr
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Footnotes in HTML

   From: Francois Stragier <stragier@email.enst.fr>

|   For a "long" time, I want to be able to use footnotes in HTML.
| I don't know any easy way to get it, so I propose an extension
| to HTML, that would make it easy to replace footnotes.
---

There *was* a footnote proposal in the HTML 3 draft (the FN element).
I agree that it's an important addition; my own preference would be to
call it DIGRESSION or SIDEBAR, rather than POPUP, so as not to imply the
presentation.

---
|   By the way, I propose a way to have syntax highlighting in HTML
| (for C, Perl etc.) that would help some programmers who find that
| the <CODE> tag isn't enough.
---

I think adding a LANGUAGE attribute to the CODE tag is an excellent idea
(though it occurs to me that the *best* way to handle code might be to
use the OBJECT model and allow the user's normal code browser (emacs or
VisualC++ or whatever) to do the presentation, with the in-line
presentation used as an alternative if no browser is defined.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550