Re: Doesn't the ALT field of an image support ä?

"Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@beach.w3.org> wrote:
>In message <199604200919.LAA17943@hermes.algonet.se>, Eva writes:
>>At 10.59 1996-04-20 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>>I was just viewing my own homepages with lynx, and it seems that if a
>>&auml; (the a
>>>with two dots over it) is in normal text, it is displayed coorectly. Inside
>>the ALT
>>>field of an IMG, it is displayed as "&auml;".  Does this mean that ALT can't
>>>contain Finnish (or any other umlaut etc) characters, or is this a defect
>>in Lynx?
>
>Bug in lynx.

	Misinformation, based on a generic reference to "Lynx" for old,
obsolete code.  Lynx will translate every character entity which has
ever appeared on W3C pages, without regard to whether it's an IETF
versus W3C draft, including the typos (e.g., both &mdash; and &emdash;,
both &ndash; and &emdash;), as well as synonyms which have not yet
appreared in such "whose is it" drafts.

				Fote