XHTML2 slightly too strict about <l> rendering

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:42:47 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Cc: glazman@netscape.com

Daniel Glazman observed [1] that XHTML2 is currently slightly too strict
about the rendering of the <l> element [2]:

# It contains a piece of text that when visually represented should start
# on a new line, and have a line break at the end.

Could this be slightly loosened? I feel really bad asking this, because my
main complaint about HTML specs has always been that they are too vague.
However, it seems reasonable that a CSS sheet should be allowed to render
<l>ines however they like. How about changing the text to:

: It contains a piece of text that, by default, when visually represented
: should start on a new line, and have a line break at the end.

(Incidentally, while we're at it, if the sample in that part of the spec
is supposed to be Pascal, strings in Pascal are delimitted by single
quotes (') not double quotes (").)

Cheers.