Re: XHTML2: <cite> element, <quote> element (PR#6228)

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> > See the thread at (W3C Members only):
> >
> >     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2001JulSep/thread#21
>
> Ah, in context, that makes more sense. As I understand it, quotemarks are
> not _required_, per se, but may be included?

Exactly.

> Should the quotemarks, if included, be on the inside or the outside of the
> element? (The spec is vague about this and has examples that contradict
> the above thread.)

The I18N WG recommends to put them on the outside of the element,
and also recommends to use style sheets to generate quotation marks,
but frankly we don't have consensus about that yet.  I agree that
the spec is currently vague and should be clarified.

> Basically, so long as I can continue not including quotemarks, and styling
> the quotes as I want, then I think it is fine to also _allow_ quotemarks.

Good.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org