Re: XForms and InfoPath

From: <Robert_Barker@Vanguard.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:15:14 -0400
To: AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
Cc: www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-request@w3.org, xforms@yahoogroups.com

One big difference between XForms and InfoPath is that InfoPath is a client
side application meaning that a person must have InfoPath software
installed on their desktop to see and use the form.  I was assuming that it
would be a browser app with Microsoft putting the InfoPath engine in their
internet explorer.

Maybe that would be version 2.0.

                      l.com                    To:       www-forms@w3.org, xforms@yahoogroups.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:       (bcc: Robert Barker/VGI)
                      www-forms-request        Subject:  XForms and InfoPath
                      04/13/2003 03:40

A follow up comment to my earlier question about XForms and InfoPath.

Quite unexpectedly, today I have ended up reading quite a bit of
publicly available information on InfoPath.

Relevant URLs include:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/infopath/guide.asp (Document
of ~50 pages)

InfoPath is being sold as XML delivering dynamic forms front end for XML

I still haven't seen InfoPath in the flesh but, at the present time, it
to me that XForms and InfoPath are going to be going head to head in

I think the XML-enabled forms space is going to be a very, very interesting

one over the next couple of years.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if both XForms and InfoPath "win" - in the
sense that both technologies gain substantial market following.

Maybe, just maybe, InfoPath 2.0 will make use of XForms??? :)

Interesting times lie ahead. At least that is my $0.02. :)

Andrew Watt