Re: Format name proposals

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 12:48:20 -0700
To: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
CC: rfink@readableweb.com, 'Bill Davis' <info@ascenderfonts.com>, www-font@w3.org
François REMY wrote:

> Compatibility Web Type fails because it's not correct grammatically

In English, this is a perfectly grammatical label. It is a compound
noun. It also directly parallels related usages such as 'compatibility
mode'.

> Compatible Web Type is correct grammatically, but it doens't have the
> same meaning, even if they're very close.

The fact that they don't have the same meaning further indicates that
both are grammatically correct: they grammatically express different
meanings.

> *Compatible* Web Font (CWF) sounds great for me. BTW, the name doesn't
> matter. Only the implementation does.

I would prefer font to type, also, but unfortunately, the file extension
.cwf is already in use.

J.