Re: Fwd: DOM event detection

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:50:51 +0100
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com" <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>, "schepers@w3.org" <schepers@w3.org>, "Jacob Rossi" <jrossi@microsoft.com>
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:13:41 +0100, Jacob Rossi <jrossi@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Garrett Smith:
>> That feature [hasFeature()] cannot be reliably used for the web.
>
> The fact that it isn't reliable today isn't proof that it is a bad API
> (hence, Doug's "reductio ad absurdum" comment).

I thought we long ago reached the conclusion that hasFeature() is a bad
API and should not be used. DOM Core warns against using it and does not
allow other specifications to introduce new non-legacy DOM features.
Decoupling feature support from features is not something that has worked
well to date.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#dom-features

--
Anne van Kesteren