Re: Fwd: DOM event detection

On 3/7/11, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:13:41 +0100, Jacob Rossi <jrossi@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> Garrett Smith:
>>> That feature [hasFeature()] cannot be reliably used for the web.
>>
>> The fact that it isn't reliable today isn't proof that it is a bad API
>> (hence, Doug's "reductio ad absurdum" comment).
>
> I thought we long ago reached the conclusion that hasFeature() is a bad
> API and should not be used. DOM Core warns against using it and does not
> allow other specifications to introduce new non-legacy DOM features.
> Decoupling feature support from features is not something that has worked
> well to date.
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#dom-features

"Warning! Authors are strongly discouraged from using DOM features, as
they are notoriously unreliable and imprecise. Authors are encouraged
to rely on explicit feature testing or graceful degradation."

I like it!

DOMImplementation hasFeature method is designed in such a way that
allows features without feature strings to exist.
--
Garrett