Re: Conflicts between D3E and Web DOM Core

From: Joćo Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 18:58:17 -0000
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>

>> 4. Calls to dispatchEvent(evt) where evt is an event object that's
>> already in the middle of dispatch throw an INVALID_STATE_ERR according
>> to WDC [3], but a DISPATCH_REQUEST_ERR according to D3E [4]. Why change
>> the name/code?
>
> I thought it would be nice if we could get rid of EventException
> completely. XMLHttpRequest and lots of other APIs use DOMException. Seems
> kind of unnecessary to use a different one just for this method.

Or you could add the new exception codes to DOMException, although I don't see much value in them.

The only theoretical case I can think of having event specific exception codes is when invoking dispatchEvent() to know if the exception came from the event handling, or from a listener, but that's an edge case.