Focus events on touch devices

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:48:15 -0800
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
I'm currently working on accessibility hooks for a canvas based web
application
and running into some difficulty with Apple's iOS VoiceOver. Android
currently provides
a shell, and/or a joystick/trackball to move the focus position,
essentially using the tabindex
routines we're all comfortable with.

Apple made things a bit more useful, by capturing touch events and
detecting whether there
are landmarks such as anchors and buttons, then setting a virtual focus
on those areas.

Their technique works quite well, but it was not designed with [canvas]
in mind,
as I believe it expects usemap.

Regardless of that: is Apple's technique something that should be
discussed further?
It's very much like a touch-hover event. A touchstart event is not
actually fired until the
user hovers over an element, then taps the screen.

I'm still experimenting, and looking for advice. Currently, overlaying
<button> elements
on click-able areas of the canvas works, but it's a kludge.

-Charles