Re: DOM L2 comments, various

From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 09:34:59 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
> > > So far, ASP syntax is the best argument I've heard for extending
> > > the node types.
> >
> > Not really.  ASP is structurally not markup -- it's <%foo...%>
> > constructs, or equivalent, with text that doesn't need to obey
> > markup rules.  Or it was the last time I looked at it in detail.
>
> Any ASP-aware server may want to parse them, though.

Sure.  Go ahead.  Just don't expect DOM to handle them.  You
missed (or ignored) my point about markup.  For an ASP/JSP/XYZ
looking like

	Here's some text.
	Here's some more text.
	Yadda yadda yadda.

Exactly what would Document.elementNode return?  Since it's not
markup, it doesn't obey markup structure rules -- assumed by DOM.
No root element.

- Dave