RE: suggest deprecating alertdialog role in ARIA 1.1

From: Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 11:04:42 +0200
To: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
CC: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Marco Zehe <marco.zehe@googlemail.com>, James Teh <jamie@nvaccess.org>
Hi,

It is not the fault of the ARIA spec that alertdialog is poorly supported in AT.

Role "alertdialog" has been invented to indicate simple ok/yes/no/cancel messageboxes in contrast to more
elaborated complex dialogs with role "dialog".

Therefore, I recommend *NOT* to remove the role entirely, in contrary, it should even be extended to reflect the
*type* of "alert" dialog Error/Warning/Info etc. and its usage according to this should be reflected in the AP Guidelines documentation.

Such a pattern would help to get more "typed" behavior, and that is what the ARIA spec stands for and what users need.

- Stefan