Re: suggest deprecating alertdialog role in ARIA 1.1

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:16:24 +0100
To: "Schnabel, Stefan" <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>
CC: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Marco Zehe <marco.zehe@googlemail.com>, James Teh <jamie@nvaccess.org>
Hi Stefan,

> It is not the fault of the ARIA spec that alertdialog is poorly supported in AT.

I completely agree but devs need practical solutions right now.. not
around the corner and to my mind anything that makes the practical
accessible web development easier - is a good thing.

> Role "alertdialog" has been invented to indicate simple ok/yes/no/cancel messageboxes in contrast to more
> elaborated complex dialogs with role "dialog".
>
> Therefore, I recommend *NOT* to remove the role entirely, in contrary, it should even be extended to reflect the
> *type* of "alert" dialog Error/Warning/Info etc. and its usage according to this should be reflected in the AP Guidelines documentation.

Not a bad idea. However, I suggest removing it and actually using the
role="dialog" as a generic role and allowing it to take the argument
dialog Error/Warning/Info etc.

Cheers

Josh