Re: Action-650 Review generated css content in html5

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:42:31 +0100
To: WAI-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>, "Jim Allan" <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 18:09:09 +0100, Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu> wrote:

> could find no reference to prohibiting CSS generated content from
> appearing in the DOM.

But what is the mechanism by which it appears? It is part of style, so
should be accessible through getComputedStyle, but I am not sure that is
actually useful. I'm not sure how DOM handles pseudo-elements, which are
in any event defined in CSS.

> there doesn't appear to be anything that a UA can do to access this
> information. A screen reader could scrape the screen and keep refreshing
> to find generated content...tedious, many cpu cycles, etc.

Opera just exposes the content directly. I don't see why other browsers
don't do that.

> generated content fails WCAG20 - generated content does not work
> http://cssgallery.info/testing-the-accessibility-of-the-css-generated-content/

Hmmm.

> I will give up any issues I had about this.
> Recommend closing this Action.

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk