Re: Action-650 Review generated css content in html5

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 18:09:09 +0100, Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu> wrote:
>
>  could find no reference to prohibiting CSS generated content from
>> appearing in the DOM.
>>

> But what is the mechanism by which it appears? It is part of style, so
> should be accessible through getComputedStyle, but I am not sure that is
> actually useful. I'm not sure how DOM handles pseudo-elements, which are in
> any event defined in CSS.
>

> Jim: I am not sure of the mechanism. it just appears on the screen, but is
not in the DOM.

>  there doesn't appear to be anything that a UA can do to access this
>> information. A screen reader could scrape the screen and keep refreshing
>> to find generated content...tedious, many cpu cycles, etc.
>>

> Opera just exposes the content directly. I don't see why other browsers
> don't do that.
>
> Jim: New Information: created a test page
http://test.tsbvi.edu/generated.htm with style
http://test.tsbvi.edu/generated.css
tested with Jaws 12. predicted results in FF7 and IE8 - that is Jaws did
not read the generated text.
BUT Jaws read the text in Chrome. Not sure why or how.

>  generated content fails WCAG20 - generated content does not work
>> http://cssgallery.info/**testing-the-accessibility-of-**
>> the-css-generated-content/<http://cssgallery.info/testing-the-accessibility-of-the-css-generated-content/>
>>

> Hmmm.
>

>  I will give up any issues I had about this.
>> Recommend closing this Action.
>>

> cheers
>
> Chaals
>

> --
> Charles 'chaals' McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
>    je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk
> http://my.opera.com/chaals       Try Opera: http://www.opera.com

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756