W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > January to March 2001

AGENDA: W3C User Agent Teleconference 22 March 2001

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:35:39 -0500
Message-ID: <3AB93ACB.F47888B0@w3.org>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Time: 2:00-4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038

---------
IMPORTANT
---------

Please prepare for the meeting by reading the proposals listed
below. A lot of time has been put into these proposals so that the
teleconference itself can be as efficient as possible. You are also
invited to comment on the proposals on the mailing list prior to the
meeting. The goal is to send the document to last call in about two
weeks, and we need to address these proposals as quickly as possible.

------
Agenda
------

  1) Review action items (listed at the bottom of this email)
  2) Review proposals to address open issues

-------------------
Review of proposals
-------------------

a) I'd like to get confirmation of changes to the speech
  characteristic checkpoints of the 19 March 2001 draft
  (as announced:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0472)

b) Proposal to clarify checkpoint 2.9 
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0453

c) Checkpoint 9.1: Delete sentence about pointing device interaction
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0421
   [NOTE: I've implemented this one in the 19 March draft since I
    don't expect that it will be controversial.]

d) Checkpoint 2.7: Solution for repair text should not be
   minimal requirement.
   Note: There is support for this proposal from Al and Denis.
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0418

e) Checkpoints 3.2/3.7: Toggle placeholders off requirement:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0455

f) Executive summary (proposed by Eric)
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0413

g) Refer to conformance proposals regarding content/ui labels, input
   device conformance, and conformance example.
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0483

   See also the proposal to address conformance through pointing
   device and voice input and the question at the end of the
   proposal about the shape of Guideline 1.
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0452

   I think this proposal subsumes Al's comments:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0440

h) Search termation. Refer to ideas from David:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0474.html

OTHER TOPICS:

g) Al Gilman has suggested that we may have a way to deal with
   SMIL captions for checkpoints 2.5 and 4.5. Al, can you
   say more about what we can expect UAs to recognize w.r.t.
   system-captions?

h) We need to add to the Techniques document for
   the following checkpoints 2.9, 5.6, 9.3, 9.5,
   9.6, 9.7. Additional techniques are welcome as well.

-------------------
Action item summary
-------------------
------------
Open actions
------------

IJ: Coordinate usability testing of the guidelines (JRG volunteers to 
be one of the testers).
  Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0137

IJ: Write an executive summary appendix.
  Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0200

 REFER TO PROPOSAL FROM EH:
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0413

JG: Propose text for the techniques document about synthesized speech 
implementation issues. Notably UA and AT wanting to use the same 
synthesizer engine.

JG: Create issue list for things that need to be addressed in the 
next version of the document

JG: Take to WAI PF the requirement that formats need to provide a 
more precise means for specifying events (than HTML allows for).
  Source: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/03/ua-minutes

JG: Create a wish list of other requirements not in UAAG 1.0, 
including those that might fall under this Guideline.
  Source: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/03/ua-minutes

JG: Write up some techniques for checkpoints on scripts on/off about 
subsetting the configuration.
  Source: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/03/ua-minutes

JG: Take to the WAI CG the question ofpursuing the DOM Views and 
Formatting module.
  Source: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/03/ua-minutes

JG: Call Cindy King about formats that support separate windows for 
captioning information
  Source: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/03/ua-minutes

GL and TL: Ask someone from Microsoft whether they will evaluate the 
guidelines with a product.
  Deadline: 2/1/2001
  Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0137

CMN: Find out from SYMM WG whether repositioning of objects will 
appear in the spec (or should be in UAAG).
  Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0357

TL: Report to WG on discussions at Microsoft about keyboard
emulation.
  Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0227

RS: Send pointer to information about universal access gateway to the
WG.
  Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0258

----------------------
Completed action items
----------------------

IJ: Take to the cross-WG WAI list the issue of how to refer to UAAG 
(or other WAI specs) in non-W3C documents
  Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0357
  Email to CG:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-cg/2001JanMar/0103.html

-------------------------------------------------------
Completed action items available in 19 March 2001 draft
-------------------------------------------------------

IJ: Work on editorial changes to 2.9.
    Include an example (e.g., "alt" for IMG in HTML).
Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0427.html

IJ: Add to the beginning of the document (limitations)
    that 3.1 doesn't cover layers.
Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0427.html

IJ: Add to the techniques document that it's ok to render
    the unblinking text not in context.
Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0427.html

IJ: Add to techniques to show images "temporarily" and when you
   leave the image, it goes away.
Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0427.html

----------------------------------------------
Proposed to drop:
----------------------------------------------

IJ: Add a Note to checkpoint 4.4.pointing to applicability provision 
about streaming and whether slow/etc.control enabled by the format.
  Source: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/03/ua-minutes

  IJ: This is already in the techniques document.


-- 
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783
Received on Wednesday, 21 March 2001 18:35:44 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:50:38 GMT