Re: Checkpoint 6.6 for real.

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:49:45 -0400
To: thatch@us.ibm.com
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

> So here is the real 6.6!
>
> Allow the user to control focus highlighting (e.g., foreground
> and background color).
>
> Question, what is focus highlighting. The focus indicator I know
> from Netscape and IE is a dotted box, not a highlight.

Perhaps this is merely a question of language then: highlight is
supposed to mean "a mechanism used to distinguish A from B." It
may be a dotted box, reverse video, underlining, marching red ants,
or a higher-pitched voice. How is highlighting done by
braille displays?

It looks like we should define the term highlight in the guidelines.
Or, use a better term. Can you suggest one?

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814