Re: checkpoint 6.6

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> In the specific case of highlight and identify the selection, I think the
> functional requirement is that the user can make sure that the selcted area
> is identified in a way which is useful to them (within the limitations of the
> User Agent's rendering methods).

I agree.

> Does that sound like an essential
> requirement, and if so is there a way we can word it better? (If not, is it a
> lower priority, or a poorly conceived idea? Or have I just got the cart by
> the horse...)

I think it should still be priority one. In particular if I am
using the selection to identify content for rendering but I cannot
tell where the selection is, I cannot access the content (refer to
checkpoint 7.2).

Here's a proposal for softening the wording from "control" to
"adjust":

 Old:  Allow the user to control selection
       highlighting (e.g., foreground and background color).

 New: Allow the user to adjust selection highlighting.

  Note:
      For example, if colors are used to distinguish
      the selection from the background, allow the user
      to set preferred highlight colors. If the selection
      is being rendered as audio, allow the user to
      adjust the audio presentation of the selection.

ALSO:

 Proposed: We have combined selection and focus in other checkpoints.
   I propose we merge checkpoints 6.5 and 6.6 as numbered in [1].

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19990809

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814