Re: checkpoint 8.1

thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

> On the subject checkpoint, the wording is not consistent with the glossary. I
> believe that quote frame viewports endquote does not make sense.

I agree. I've fixed this. I went through the whole spec and tried
to ensure consistency. There may still be bugs and I hope you will
find them and point them out.

> And the
> checkpoint should not require reference to a glossary. If this is important,  if
> should stand on its own.  That is true for other checkpoints I have asked about.

I almost agree. However, there are some terms that are
used differently in different contexts or by different
communities, including words like "element", which may have
a technical meaning (e.g., SGML) and common parlance meaning
(component). We need a glossary to ensure that readers understand
what we mean.

Internal consistency is crucial and I hope you will point out
inconsistencies you find.

I am all for the clearest language possible (and to avoid
jargon where we can).  If you can propose other language you feel is
clearer, please don't hesitate.

Just an historical note: "viewport" comes from the CSS2
specification [1]:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
9.1.1 The viewport

    User agents for continuous media generally offer
    users a viewport (a window or other viewing area on the
    screen) through which users consult a document. User
    agents may change the document's layout when the
    viewport is resized (see the initial containing block).
    When the viewport is smaller than the document's initial
    containing block, the user agent should offer a scrolling
    mechanism. There is at most one viewport per
    canvas, but user agents may render to more than one
    canvas (i.e., provide different views of the same document).
</BLOCKQUOTE>

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#viewport