Re: checkpoint 6.6

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:08:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: thatch@us.ibm.com
cc: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Seems to me to open up an interesting issue. It is possible to create a user
agent that is very handy for a specific group of people (it has certainly
been done for people who are interested in graphic rendering of websites on a
computer monitor) without making an accessible (by which I think we
understand universally useful) tool.

In the specific case of highlight and identify the selection, I think the
functional requirement is that the user can make sure that the selcted area
is identified in a way which is useful to them (within the limitations of the
User Agent's rendering methods). Does that sound like an essential
requirement, and if so is there a way we can word it better? (If not, is it a
lower priority, or a poorly conceived idea? Or have I just got the cart by
the horse...)

Charles McCN