Re: Keyboard control

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:59:15 -0600
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@srl.rmit.EDU.AU>, WAI UA group <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Could you clarify your statements.  You seem to be saying that built-in
keyboard commands are not all that important as long as the function is
exposed to 3rd party assistive technology.
One of our goals is universal design and to reduce the need for 3rd party
assistive technology.
Jon

At 11:59 AM 11/11/98 +1100, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I don't think the answer (especially in a general set of guidelines) to
>interface problems is to allow keyboard control specifically. I think the
>answer is to allow all controls to be exposed to third party technology.
>However, for any UA which has a keyboard interface it seems like a
>priority 1 that the keyboard be able to operate all controls.
>
>(ie it is more important that the controls are exposed in general, but
>only just. Keyboard is the single most important specific device)
>
>Charles McCathieNevile

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870