Re: Techniques suggestions

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:54:34 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@srl.rmit.EDU.AU>
CC: WAI UA group <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> 3.1 content should be recognised as an alternative source of information
> for APPLET as well as OBJECT

Yes.

> in 3.3 - technique 4.3.1
>
> Does linearising necessarily imply text only? I would not ahve thought
> so, although it must (to comply with other provisions) be able to be
> rendered as text only.

I will remove the text only part.

> 4.1 In general this requirement may be met by providing keyboard access
> to all functionality and by exposing that funtionality to third party
> technology.

Ok.

> 5.1 Is it intrinsically aproblem to provide redundancy of menu control
> (from a user point of view) ? I would have thought that if it can be done
> then it might be quite useful to have an accessibility menu, for example,
> which simply repeats a number of controls that are also grouped in other
> categories.

We discussed this at the face-to-face and the point was brought
up that controls should be integrated rather than concentrated
in a specific menu. When asked whether it was possible/a good idea
to synthesize and accessibility menu from other entries, developers
answered that it wasn't easy and it wasn't good design (if I
recall correctly).

> in 5.3 - technique 5.3.2 Provide notification of changes in a document
> resulting from the execution of a script. Why is this priority 3?

There could be two reasons:
1) You are the first person to comment on the rating and it needs
   review
2) The browser may not know about all the changes that took place.

> 7.1 Support accessibility features of HTML
> LANG is priority 3. I would have thought it was 2 at least.

As it is priority 2 in the PAGL as well, I will change it
to 2 here if no one protests.

 -Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)