Re: When is a keyboard trap a keyboard trap

Hi Vivienne
I'll attempt to answer this...

I think that the origin of this guideline probably stems from the fact that
in earlier versions of Flash (and other technologies), once it had received
focus, it was not possible to tab out of it, and return to the parent HTML
page.

In later versions of Flash one had to physically programme a keystroke
event, which alowed the user to exit (tab out of) the Flash component and
return focus to the parent HTML.

Thus: providing a way for a user to tab in and tab out of technologies such
as Acrobat, if these are embedded in an HTML page, is essential. Failure to
do so, creates a keyboard trap, and the only way out at times is to close
the browser window and start again.

Insofar as pop-ups are concerned:

*"Pop-up windows open in a variety of ways - new windows, new tabs.  Media
players pop up from links and then the user has trouble closing them (if
they even know they are in a new window).  Sometimes you can get out by
Ctrl+W, or Alt+F4, and sometimes trying one of these causes lots of other
problems.  It also depends upon what browser you're using.  For example in
IE9, both Ctrl+W and Alt+F4 do the same thing, while in Firefox Alt+F4
displays a warningsaying do you want to close all tabs.  Also, sometimes
closing the popup by a keyboard shortcut may close the browser which is a
huge problem."*

   - Pop-up windows open in a variety of ways - new windows, new tabs.

   - Ctrl-W closes the active tab  or window if there is only one tab
      present
      - Alt-F4 will close the browser, including all tabs if there are tabs
      present, and may warn you if you have set your browser up to do so, that
      you are about to close all tabs (this is an explicit setting in
      Options->Tabs)

   - The above is true for IE, as well as FF, etc. If there's only one tab
   present, then Alt-F4 = Ctrl-W will do the same thing.

   - If the "pop-up" is a new browser that opens above the existing
   (parent) browser, then *as long as the pop-up remains in
**focus*Alt-F4/Ctrl-W will close the pop-up.
   - Sometimes what appears to be a pop-up is actually a <DIV> which is
   displayed above the existing parent. In this case, Alt-F4/Ctrl-W will
   attempt to close the parent.

I would design all pop-ups with a close or cancel function, which closes
the pop-up.

Shortcut keys will work as long as they belong to, and are actively
programmed to close the intended pop-up. Thus, if a shortcut key is
assigned to the parent, and a dialogue is displayed, and the user thinks
that the shortcut key to close the window will shut the pop-up (dialogue),
then they may be surprised when the browser is closed instead.

Assign shortcut keys specific to the task and make sure the commands are
clear. E.g.: [Alt-n] Closes browser (this would be something like
window.close), [Alt-x] closes dialogue (this could be something like
getElementByID(ID).style.display=none)

I hope that helps

Kind regards

Harry