Re: Marking Up Mathematical Symbols

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:46:27 +0200, Patrick H. Lauke
<redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Andy Laws <adlaws@gmail.com>:
>
>> Can any one please advise on best practices for marking up Mathematical
>> Symbols such as ------> ø
>
> Straight HTML may not be semantically rich enough for formulas and such
> (assuming you meant that, rather than just having a symbol in among
> normal text). I'd say it would be worth looking at MathML
> http://www.w3.org/Math/ (but beware of lack of support), fallback using
> graphics with appropriate ALT text, possibly based around the ideas of
> MathSpeak http://www.gh-mathspeak.com/.

James Munro did a bunch of work on making a converter so even horribly
complex MathML would output braille, in particular.

And while I am here, we haven't advertised it yet, but with a user
Stylesheet and Opera's new version 9.5 (only available in alpha - this is
strictly for people who like the bleeding edge, and won't install over
your current version of Opera but as an alternative) you can handle the
MathML that is in "MathML for CSS" profile - which gives you a fair bit of
MathML capability. If you're interested, contact me, or wait a bit and the
how-to info will appear...

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com   http://snapshot.opera.com - Kestrel (9.5α1)