Re: Marking Up Mathematical Symbols

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:19:31 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi Andy,

At 15:38 12/09/2007, Andy Laws wrote:
>Can any one please advise on best practices for
>marking up Mathematical Symbols such as ------>

I thought that the LAMBDA project had interesting
information on access to mathematics, but I can't
check that right now because the website is undergoing maintenance. The URL is

In May this year, somebody sent the URL of the
Equplus website to the WAI-XTech mailing list:
The idea is to provide math and science equations
in TeX, MathML, PNG-image and MathType format.
However, for most equations that I have checked,
only PNG, TeX and MathType are provided, and the
PNG images don't have an alt  attribute (not even
for simple things like a + 0 = a).

Best regards,

>Andrew Laws Bsc(Hons) MBCS, FBCS
>e-mail: <mailto:adlaws@gmail.com>adlaws@gmail.com