Re: Marking Up Mathematical Symbols

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:06:17 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I hate to say it, but images with good ALT tags are probably the
safest bet...unless screen readers have improved a lot.

When I was testing equations a few years ago, JAWS was saying
"question mark" for Unicode math symbols (e.g. theta), so I had a
perfectly encoded, standards-compliant Web site that was useless on a
screen reader.

See Snell's equation on

Maybe you could use Math ML with hidden graphics with ALT tags if you
want to move ahead tech wise.

My two cents

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer