Re: Marking Up Mathematical Symbols

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:06:17 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I hate to say it, but images with good ALT tags are probably the
safest bet...unless screen readers have improved a lot.

When I was testing equations a few years ago, JAWS was saying
"question mark" for Unicode math symbols (e.g. theta), so I had a
perfectly encoded, standards-compliant Web site that was useless on a
screen reader.

See Snell's equation on
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/accessibility/math.html

Maybe you could use Math ML with hidden graphics with ALT tags if you
want to move ahead tech wise.

My two cents

Elizabeth

--