support for sub and sup in screen readers and talking browsers

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:01:08 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi,

I recently read in a report on accessibility of mathematics and
science that screen readers can't tell the difference between sub and
same on a Braille display, namely as "an".

I would like to collect some more data on the support of sub and sup
by screen readers and talking browsers and I have put together a
small test page for this purpose: <http://tinyurl.com/2qll7h>. The
page contains five examples of superscript and subscript and a few
combinations of these.

With Fire Vox, the code samples given above are read as an emphatic
"an". The output for the other expressions is also misleading. I
would appreciate it if users of screen readers and talking browsers
could tell me what their systems output for each of the five
examples. I will then add the test results to the test page.

Best regards,
Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe