From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Matthew Smith
Sent: 22 November 2006 10:54
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: [WebAIM]: a translation question ...

Quoth Tim Smithers at 11/22/2006 09:02 PM...

> I apologise for this being a bit off topic, though
> perhaps it's not, but I'm looking for a good
> translation of the term
>
>   "User Empowerment" (in English)

Not trying to be funny, but seeing as this is an accessibility forum
something must be said: I would be loath to use a term like "User
Empowerment" in any language.  Phrases like this smack of bull, er,
unnecessary jargon.

Use of simpler language in the original text will make translation to a
foreign tongue _much_ easier.

In fact, this could be a handy test; if language is hard to translate to
a foreign one, maybe the original version needs review.  (I will refrain
from making any references to the inaccessible language of WCAG 2, oops
- I just did...)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
IT Consultancy & Web Application Development
Business: http://www.kbc.net.au/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/smiffy