Re: User friendly 404s reconsidered

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:08:07 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> I may be missing the point here but how do you provide a closest match given that all you know of is the requested URI? For CMS driven sites this may just be a page ID.

For id's you can't, but that may or may not be the cause or the 404.
Incorrectly entering a URL manually and truncation are also possible
causes. The reason you give above is why close matches and not the
closest matches should be used as some of the top 3 closest matches
may be way off.

--

Orion Adrian