Re: Access Keys

Dean Dyer wrote:
>>         A question on access keys: how many of you actually use them
>> on your sites?  If so, what do you use them for?  Every link?
>> Standard links?  Main navigation?  Seems like you could run out of
>> keys, especially if you try to stay away from standard menu access keys.

Jon Hanna replied:
> I use them a bit on sites (mainly intranet or extranet) where the same
> person would be using the same pages often and getting into the habit of
> using the access keys would be beneficial (just like people who use
> keyboard and mouse wouldn't touch the mouse using a desktop app they
> were familiar with).

My situation is similar to Jon's.  Most of the applications I produce
would take no real benefit from access keys - they would not be used
repetitively and so there would be little point learning them.

As a touch-typist, I tend to avoid the mouse whenever possible (unless
eating or drinking at the same time!) and have my personal Intranet set
up with access keys so that I can get where I want to go fast.

Similarly, a web-based contact management system that I wrote for a
client makes use of access keys as the client may be using this day in,
day out; learning the keys then makes sense as they make the system more
usable for regular users.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy, South Australia
Work: <http://www.kbc.net.au> Personal: <http://www.mss.cx>