Re: showing visited links ?

David Woolley wrote:

>>colours, they should set their browser not to let pages/styles override
>
> This would be far beyond the technical capabilities of the typical
> elderly learner.

Browser developers obviously need to abide by UAAG
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-USERAGENT/guidelines.html#gl-configuration ...
and for the most part, they're doing a fairly decent job of it now.

I'm not advocating completely breaking user expectations, but at some
point users also need to take responsibility, as otherwise we *will*
have to avoid any styling which may be perceived as different from the
default norm.

Maybe I'm feeling quite uncharitable tonight, but: shouldn't the first
thing any learner learns be how to correctly use their tools? Yes,
content developers shouldn't put any unnecessary road blocks in the way,
but it should be expected have at least a basic understanding of how web
pages work, and that, for instance, links are not necessarily always
blue and underlined - as long as it's clear from other cues what is and
isn't a link, what has already been visited, etc. Otherwise we need to
have all links in side/top navigations as blue underlined links as well,
as some users may not realise that they're links...

Otherwise once again it's down to web *content* developers who have to
shoulder all the burden (apparently the same reasoning behind sites
having text size widgets, print buttons, etc inside the page content
itself...as some users may not know how to use standard features of
their own browser...*sigh*)

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com