Re: accessible on-line survey

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:16:05 +0200
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Cc: Marjolein Katsma <iamback4now@yahoo.com>, W3C WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi Charles, Marjolein,

Le samedi 16 avril 2005 ŗ 22:46 +1000, Charles McCathieNevile a ťcrit :
> > Releasing such a system as Open Source would be a very good idea!
>
> Yes. I base my belief on the belief that W3C makes a commitment to release
> its software under its open source license. I am starting to wonder if
> that is actually true - they clearly do it for some things, but in other
> cases don't seem to bother even providing access to the code - although a
> lot of stuff is available somewhere in their public CVS tree on dev.w3.org
> if you know where to look.

Indeed, W3C tries its best to release its software under an open source
license; although I've meant to do this for WBS for a long time, I still
haven't found the time to do this properly - in other words, I could
release a bunch of unusable code today, but since it relies heavily on a
lot of other W3C-specificities, it wouldn't help much. I'm hoping to
find some time this summer to work on releasing a stand-alone version of
WBS, where the distinction between W3C-specific code and the rest is
much more manageable for everyone.

Dom
W3C/ERCIM
mailto:dom@w3.org