Re: Braille style sheets

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:01:31 +1000, david poehlman
<david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com> wrote:

> Further complicating things is the fact that the line between user agent
> as
> rendering agent and screen reader as rendering agent in the case of
> windows
> with internet explorer, is blurring as the screen reader takes over more
> of
> the load of presentation.  For embossing, you have often duxburry as an
> intermediary between the user agent and the embosser and duxburry has its
> own set of rules for translating/formatting based on rules set forth by
> the
> various braille authorities.  e already have a template for duxburry to
> braille the web in dbt 10.5.  I am not certain then what is gained by an
> emboss media type.

The idea is that you could replace one of the functions of duxbury with
CSS styles. Given that Duxbury's support for HTML is apparently at about
hte level of the mid-90s, this is not necessarily a bad thing, if there
were implementations that were better.

Unfortunately it appears that at the moment nobody has done anything very
much better.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org