Re: Braille style sheets

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:06:30 +1000
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>, "wai-ig list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:51:41 +1000, Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
wrote:

>>> There are another test and study about the browsers support in:
>>> http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/embossed-BrowserSummary.shtml
>
>> I am not certain then what is gained by an emboss media type.
>
> I agree.  The table above makes it pretty clear that it is not doing
> anything for us yet!  I don't understand why separate TTY from dynamic
> Braille display, both are fixed pitch (grid), continuous, and
> interactive.  The best resource I have found indicates that the emboss
> media type confounds the distinction between Braille hard copy and
> dynamic Braille displays.

I think the idea is that embossed braille is on a page, and has different
layout requirements to a dynamic braille display, just as print and screen
presentation is often different.

TTY is indeed grid, but for a different use case and there may well be
differences in the way information should be presented - different
approaches to contraction and abbreviation, numbers, etc...

But I don't know. I am trying to second guess the people who wrote it from
a position of weakness... better to ask them directly I guess via the
www-style list or similar.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html#media-groups

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org