Re: Text email newsletter standard

From: Mike Brown <mike@signify.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:21:21 +1300
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Matthew Smith wrote:

>> Aside from the "pseudo-structural" sutff in the standard, a lot of it
>> seemed to me to be good practice, but not necessarily something
>> writing a newsletter would think about. For example, spelling out
>> things rather than using symbols, putting the name number and date of
>> the newsletter first, having a contents section at the top etc
>

> If it isn't "natural" for an author to set out a document in this
> format, all the more reason to use an appropriate authoring tool that
> produces XML/XHTML in the first instance.  The code produced can then be
> converted to the appropriate form using XSLT, without the author needing
> to know too much about it.

well yes, but suppose the newsletter is written by someone with limited
HTML knowledge from a small volunteer organisation with limited
resources? They're not going to know what an appropriate authoring tool
is, let alone be able to convert using XSLT. But, I think, they will be
able to follow guidelines as in the TEN standard quite easily. Wouldn't
that be a good thing?

Regards

Mike Brown