RE: Re[2]: Full text online: Accessible Web Typography - an introduction for web designers

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <andrew_kirkpatrick@wgbh.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:33:11 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Just as a quick answer to solving *this* problem with IE, (there's
apparently a lot more problems :) if you set the size of the font as %
within body, and use ems elsewhere, then IE only shrinks text down to a
certain level under (view -> text size -> smallest). So, allowing that you
don't make the body size % too small, you can use ems and not have this
problem with IE.

As an example, and purely just for this!, our site:
http://www.signify.co.nz
uses "font-size: 76%;" within the body and ems for all other sizings.
Reducing text size in IE to "smallest" still allows me to read the text -
albeit that it is small. Whereas in Jim's example that you referred to, I
couldn't read anything.

Owen Briggs has a huge set of images of text sized different ways on his
site:
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/index.html

This demonstration is entirely visual - no alt on the images. He comes to
the same conclusion as Mike about ems and %'s.

Andrew

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Project Manager, WGBH National Center for Accessible Media
125 Western Avenue
Boston, MA 02134
617.300.4420