Focus

From: Kai Hendry <hendry@cs.helsinki.fi>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:54:54 +0300
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

What is accessibility? ;)

Google's definition is ok[1], but I have yet to find such a good one on
W3. Especially regarding its boundaries.

Is there a difference with Universal accessibility (all the rage in the
academic world)?

I have been asking questions [2] [3] over at w3-di about how
accessibility and device independence relate.

One of the themes of accessibility is making document device
independent[4].  I've seen texts put it like the mobile device is a
disabled view of the web. Which is a little sad.

*So is device independence a subset of accessibility?*
What about usability?
What about i18n issues?

"Access to a Unified Web from Any Device in Any Context by Anyone" [6]
Might mean accessibility is part of Device Independence. See the
confusion?

I drew up a little diagram [5] today at the suggestion of w3-di
participant, but are there must be better ones out there? :)

[1] http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=define+accessibility
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-di/2004Jun/0011.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-di/2004Jun/0014.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#themes