RE: Fieldset legend text doesn't wrap

David,

both things you mention (typical Windows convention and legends
as nouns or noun phrases) seem to me to be more of a stylistic issue,
rather than a case of "abuse". Structurally, I would say that
radio buttons are just as valid as a dropdown menu, especially when
the number of options are below a certain threshold (I usually go
for around 5 or 6 options before employing a dropdown, but of course
there's other situations where I've used a dropdown even for something
like a two option choice).
I'd say that the fieldset wrapping, or not, is one of those limitations
on par with current CSS' lack of control of the finer display details
of things like checkboxes and radio buttons (where you still can't properly
set the background, or override the 3D look, etc)...although it looks like
CSS3's User Interface is going to rectify some of those shortcomings
- and blur the lines between what CSS can and cannot control with regards
to document versus browser chrome/GUI.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216.html>

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke