RE: RE : link in new window debate

Might as well throw out one more example that shows new windows are not necessarily a problem - lack of expectation, consistency, and notification are.  If I code a mailto link, a new window will open - period, no user control - no author control - no announcing a new window will open.  If this is OK, why isn't a link that informs the user a new window will open?  Asking why we need a new window is the same as asking why we need color or the ability to change font styles.  These are design issues, not usability or accessibility related.  Why not just have one huge font size that is always black.  New windows, when user is informed will occur, are not an accessibility issue, they are a design issue.

Kurt

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Davis [mailto:paul@ten-20.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 1:01 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: RE : link in new window debate

Hang on, just putting on my hard hat and flak jacket.

Ready now

I have heard all the pro's and con's before, the solutions and alternatives
are endless, and it seems we are going round in circles. But I have a
question, why oh why do we need a new window in the first place? (unless we
just wish to demonstrate we can)

If it is a link and the individual wishes to click on it just send 'em
there. Or is there some added benefit to our lives as the web designer by
doing so?

yawns
Paul

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you