RE: RE : link in new window debate

Dear Paul,

I am by no means merely as versed in accessibility standards, as many others
on this list, however, with that disclaimer in mind, I can take a try at
answering your question.

While I agree, in a majority of cases, having a bunch of windows open can be
confusing; however, in some cases it can actually help.

I have ran across several Websites which like to keep you there.  No matter
how many times I hit the back button, my browser just won't leave their
Website.  For many, there is an easy work-around, all be it perhaps an
annoyance.  For example, in Internet Explorer there is a little arrow next
to the Back button which brings down a brief history of links recently
visited.  Within a couple of mouse clicks the user has gotten past the road
block.  However, for those who use a screen reader, such as myself, that
little arrow is virtually impossible to hit.  The alternative for us is to
use the history view, and arrow down through, at least for me, a really long
list of links.

What I am trying to say is, opening up a new window has its positives and
negatives, and it is up to the designer to determine that.

After considering everything, if a designer is going to open a new window, I
strongly recommend that in some way you warn the user that a new window will
open.  Until the latest upgrade to my screen reader, I had no idea new
windows were being opened, and it was extremely confusing.

Just my humble opinion. Hope you have a fantastic day!

Warmest Regards,
Hy