Browser Issues

From: RUST Randal <RRust@COVANSYS.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:10:19 -0500
To: "WAI (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I am preparing a presentation to give to the local Macromedia User Group
next month on accessibility and web standards.

I was reading some information about the Maguire v. SOCOG case this morning,
and one of the comments was that web sites should be accessible regardless
of the user's browser.  How is this even possible?  Netscape 3.0 and
Netscape 6.2 are completely different browsers.

I've said before that the W3C needs to go as far as to say what is or is not
an accessible/compliant browser, and while that may happen in the future,
that's not the case right now, and the present is what I'm concerned with.

I just know that when I go to give this presentation, the majority of
questions will focus on e-commerce.  People will say that users are going to
be excluded from their web site because the site requires Javascript and
either the user has an older browser that doesn't support Javascript, or
they have it turned off.  If I can't properly answer this question, then
they aren't going to buy into accessibility at all.

Randal Rust
Covansys, Inc.
Columbus, OH